Sunday, January 3, 2010

I'm A Book Addict!!!

Recently, I went on a trip to Hawaii. While there, I enjoyed sun, surf, and swam with my very first wild cetacean, the spinner dolphin (without a tour. It was actually unexpected). Also, while there, my reading interest came out when I saw all the beautiful, gigantic book stores found in Kona, Hawaii. So, if I wasn't out in the ocean or down by the pool, I was going from Borders, to Walmart, to Target, getting books I'd always wanted to read for good prices. By the time I was done with my vacation, I had read a staggering nine books! I hadn't read that much since fifth grade!
But why stop, now that I've awaken the book addict in me... here is what I thought of some of the books I read while on vacation:
Lili St. Crow writes about the girl inside of us all. She is badass and likes to show who's boss. She hunts things that go bump in the night with a switchblade in one hand and a gun in the other. Even better, she's practically indestructible. This book is both humorous and whets the appetite for adventure and shows what some teens dreams could be... involving vampires, werewulven, and apparitions.
Stars: ****
This book was an interesting read. Actually, it is two books in one, so I counted this as two. It was a different book, a fantasy based off the Wiccin Religion. This book has a great sense of adventure and a bloody darkness as sacrifices are made and demons are awaken. This book is inspired by an ancient feud woven in with a story line very much like a modern Romeo and Juliet. These authors have accomplished much, but together, they accomplish even more in this series. Now I'm hooked!!! Unusual and something I would definitely read again.
Stars: ****
This book was just all right for me. Whales got hurt and the cuss word substitutes were lame!!! Some of the action was good, but for the most part, this book was a "stuffed bumrag piece of clart" if you use the language in the book. The author developed an idea that had a lot of potential and it was good for a while... but got ruined within the first thirty pages of the book. You're supposed to think there's something that's going to happen, but it never does. Scott Westerfield combined the story line of Mulan with Wild West and some other funky crap. Don't get me wrong, it did have some good scenes. But I realized the only reason why the book was illustrated was because the author wanted an excuse not to describe anything! So, unless there was a picture, I was lost. Come on Scott Westerfield. Remember Uglies? Do that again! Don't create this funky crap with stupid morals (if any) and a bunch of clart splattered stupidity! And don't hurt whales! That always get a book points taken away with me!!! Sorry, but I'm going to have to give this book two and a half stars.
Stars: 1/2
This book is the sequal to Strange Angels, the most kickass novel of the decade. Infused with horror and romance, this book will have you begging for the next. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait until July!!!
Stars: ****
I devoured this book in one sitting, taking in all of the wonderful ideas and horrors the author has created. Percy Jackson has created a fantasy world within our own and he fuels it with monsters, heroes, and Greek mythology!
Stars: *** 1/2
A new take on Vampires! This book had great characters and a good story line. It reminded me a lot of the house of night series since there was use of "the five vampire elements". This book especially appealed to me since I was very close to one of the main characters. The male vampires were hot!!! Very realistic. Though I always thought this book looked good, it was even better than I thought it would be.
Stars:****

As you can see, there were a lot of stars except for poor Leviathan. Oh well, maybe the sequel will be better (I'm keeping my hopes high). I guess Hawaii's just stocked with great books. Thanks Mom for getting me the books. Thanks also to Allison who rented books for me from the High school library. thanks also to the Craig Public Library for letting me keep Renewing Strange Angels. Thanks Mr. Seibel for letting me borrow Leviathan... even though it wasn't my favorite.

Coming soon...

Infected by Scott Sigler

Tick Tock by Dean Koontz

Wicked 2 by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie

Wicked Resurrection by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie

Frostbite by Richelle Mead

Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead

Blood Promise by Richelle Mead

Blue Bloods by Shela de la Cruz (I read this during my vacation but am still deciding what to rate it)

Masquerade by Shela de la Cruz

Revelations by Shela de la Cruz

Tales of Beadle the Bard by J.K Rowling

Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer

Tithe by Holly Black

No comments: